Best Portable Charcoal Grill: How To Choose The Best Charcoal Smoker
It is always fun to cook outdoors. Just imagine how exciting it is to prepare your favorite meals in a gnarly public park or quiet camping spot.
The excitement increases even more when you’ve got the best portable charcoal grill at your disposal.
You must be thinking instead of taking a grill on a picnic or a camping trip, you would probably buy something to eat from a food joint, but honestly speaking, there is no fun in doing that.
It becomes important that you eat fresh and healthy at the picnic or camping spot, which is why you need a portable charcoal grill.
However, is it easy to buy a portable charcoal grill these days? The answer is ‘No’ because there are so many brands available on the market with their different portable charcoal grill models.
The quest to buy the best portable charcoal grill is not going to be easy, but we can help you with this.
Let’s discuss three best portable charcoal grills that are sold like hot cakes in the market all over the world.
Top 3 Best Portable Charcoal Grill
1. Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill
Weber has evolved as one of the most prominent grill manufacturing companies in the world due to its great products.
Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill is among the most amazing charcoal smokers that is available on the market (our reviews: this is the best small charcoal grill).
From alluring design to pragmatic features, everything in this smoker will mesmerize you. Despite the ‘portable’ tag, you will be able to cook a significant amount of food at one time, as the cooking area of the grill is 363 square inches, which is larger than many other portable charcoal grills.
Reasons To Buy Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill
- The design of this grill is unique, and the inclusion of a porcelain enameled lid and bowl allows fast and efficient loading.
- While the cooking area of the smoker gets to extreme temperatures quickly, but you will not be affected by those temperatures because the company has provided nylon handles, which are heat resistant. So, you can handle the grill without worrying about burn injuries.
- To regulate the temperature during grilling session, aluminum vents will come into use, as these are fitted perfectly to make way for heat to leave the grill.
- A temperature control system has been incorporated into the smoker to easily increase or decrease the cooking temperature.
- Weber is offering a 10-year limited warranty on the product, so you can experiment a bit while cooking without worrying about what would happen if something goes wrong and the machine malfunctions.
2. Char Griller Akorn Jr. Kamado Kooker
This grill comes to you at the right time because you are looking for the best portable charcoal grill, and this grill is one of the top contenders.
This grill is efficient and affordable, thus providing you with scrumptious meals every single time.
The incredible round and horizontal shape of the grill along with user-friendly operation makes this model a great charcoal smoker.
This grill is capable of providing you with excellent grilled and smoked food because it is designed so.
Having a cooking area of 153 square inches, you can cook enough food to satisfy the hunger of 3-5 persons.
Reasons To Buy Char Griller Akorn Jr. Kamado Kooker
- This smoker is built to last due to its triple-walled construction. It is worth every penny you’ve spent on buying it.
- Despite having a lesser cooking space compared to other smokers, you can still cook a decent amount of food. Moreover, we are discussing a ‘PORTABLE’ grill, so you will have to compromise on the size.
- This grill is easy to transport from one place to another due to its compact size and less weight.
- Cooking on this grill is fun, and you will always get evenly cooked food as this grill is all about delivering the best quality.
- This grill is easy to use, let it be the temperature control or the top and bottom air dampers, everything can be used quite easily. After the grilling session, you can easily clean the dump ash pan and put the charcoal grill into the van.
3. 18-1/2 In. Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package
If you are extremely passionate about cooking in the open, then this grill can help you fulfill your desires. You will get rich and consistent flavors in the food that you cook on this smoker, and it is quite easy to use.
The build quality is incredible as a result of durable steel and a coating of porcelain enamel. Besides a large cooking area, you get space for hanging a bunch of items that you wish to prepare on the grill.
Reasons To Buy 18-1/2 In. Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package
- This grill provides you with multiple options for grilling. Just choose the right setting, and you are set to cook the food in a different style. You will find a still grill gate in the unit that will perform like a grill and get you the most delicious grilled food outdoors.
- The grill by Pit Barrel may look bulky, but in reality, it is compact and lightweight. You can easily transport it in a van or SUV.
- You get a decent cooking area where you can grill, smoke, sear and bake your favorite meals, but that’s not it. You can also hang the meat in the center in order to let it cook with the penetration of smoke or fog that generates when the juices drip on coal lumps.
- You can also hang meat on the 8 stainless steel hooks and 2 hanging rods, which you can immediately add to the cooking area.
These were three best portable charcoal grills you can choose from, but we would still urge you to look at some of the important parameters before buying a portable charcoal grill.
Factors To Keep In Mind While Choosing The Best Portable Charcoal Grill
Since we are talking about portable grills, so you can’t expect a large cooking area because then, the machine doesn’t remain portable.
How much cooking area you need depends on you and the number of people you are looking to serve.
To serve a family of four, a grill with a cooking area of 150-200 square inches is good enough, whereas to serve more than 4 persons, you can select a grill that has 200+ square inches.
Quality & Durability
To make a portable charcoal grill compact and lightweight, there is certainly some compromise on the quality of materials.
However, the inferior quality of materials doesn’t mean that the grill is going to be less durable. If you are able to keep the grill in good condition, then you will keep using it for several years.
Air Vents & Air Flow
You will have to take a close look at the air vents of the grill because an efficient air vent will ensure much better temperature control. Rotating air vents that are easily accessible work the best.
A grill with a bigger burning area is always better. You can identify the burning area by measuring the distance between grates and briquette.
The bigger the area is, the lower the risk of burned food. Moreover, you can add more charcoal to the smoker to prolong the cooking time.
A lid is of paramount importance because cooking the food with a closed lid is going to make sure that the food is cooked evenly and in a less time.
The lid will allow the food to be cooked at fixed or higher temperatures, and also keep the smoke inside the grill for better flavors.
Every grill has its own unique ‘ash cleaning’ way, so the grill having the best ash cleaning system is the one that you should be buying.
If you are looking to buy a portable charcoal grill that you can transport from one place to another easily, then you need to check whether the grill is equipped with legs or a stand.
If it is not, then you will require a separate table upon which the grill will rest. However, you should prioritize a grill that comes with a stand or has stable legs.
The market for the portable charcoal grill is expanding with every passing day, so the sooner you decide, the better it is going to be for you.
All you need to do is, go through the above-mentioned three best portable charcoal grills, checking all the features of each and every grill diligently in order to make a wise decision.
All three products discussed above stands out with something else, so choose the one that fits your budget and requirements.