Hunting Down The Best Kitchen Knife Brands
A kitchen doesn’t look like a kitchen until it has got a nice bunch of knives. Playing as an integral role in the kitchen, knives come in handy for a number of tasks, such as cutting meat, chopping vegetables, slicing fruits and so on.
Without a couple of sharp knives, you can’t handle kitchen related tasks smoothly, period.
Therefore, you need to look upon the best kitchen knife brands and get yourself a set of quality kitchen knives that you can rely upon.
A good news is that there are many top brands available on the market these days, so finding the right brand wouldn’t be much of a problem for you, given you have some knowledge going on shopping for a perfect knife set for your kitchen.
There isn’t one parameter to define the quality of a knife, but there are multiple things that need to be paid attention to in order to find that perfect knife that could do all the tasks in your kitchen.
We are going to discuss five top knife brands today, which will definitely put you in a great situation in terms of buying a quality knife set for your home.
Top 5 Best Kitchen Knife Brands (Our Reviews)
1. Calphalon Katana Cutlery 18-Piece Knife Set
Having this knife set will put you in a situation where you will not be requiring any other cutting tool in your kitchen.
This is an 18-piece knife set to cater to all your needs in a spectacular way. All these knives are designed to serve a different purpose, and they perform quite excellently.
These are resistant to rust and won’t take any stain at all. To hold up knives in a nice and easy way, the company has provided a wooden block.
The efficiency of these knives is increased by high precision handles, which are patented and provides you with a highly comfortable grip.
If you are looking for a great set of knives in your kitchen, then this set can’t be ignored at all.
Pros and Cons
- You get to choose from 18 different types of knives.
- Stainless steel is the material used in these knives, which makes them extremely tough.
- These are rust resistant.
- Ergonomic patented handles for superior grip.
- The bread knife is missing.
- Steak knives are not made of stainless steel, but inferior quality stamped steel.
2. DALSTRONG Knife Set Block Gladiator Series Knife Set review
What is it that Germans don’t make good? Germans are known for making world-class products, and the same reflects from this knife set.
It is made of high-carbon German steel, which is not going disappoint you even when you are cutting down those heavy lumps of meat for steak.
I really liked the serrated edge in these knives, which is tapered in order to provide that extra bit of flexibility and effortless cutting.
The ergonomic handle is extremely easy to hold and maneuver. In combination with the blade, you get a stable, fast and precise cutting and chopping tool.
That serrated edge has really been an outstanding feature because you don’t have to sharpen it again and again.
The craftsmanship and the kind of technology that is incorporated in this knife set make it an obvious choice for the people for regular to specific kitchen-related tasks.
Pros and Cons
- Intriguing design.
- Extremely sharp serrated edge of all knives.
- Hardly any resistance while slicing.
- Ergonomic handle.
- Easy to maneuver.
- The price of this set is high when compared to the same set of other brands.
3. Cangshan N1 Series 60010 22-Piece German Steel Forged Knife Block Set
This is another German brand, which is known for making avant-garde products. This N1 Series 22-piece Knife Set is a perfect example of how a knife set should be.
This set has all the knives that you could possibly use in the kitchen. You are less likely to use a knife beyond these 22 pieces.
Buying this set of knives will give you an opportunity to work in the kitchen without much of an effort because these steel forged knives combined with ergonomics handle are going to make things a lot easier for you.
The design of these knives is so unique that it can get RedDot 2016 Award Patent as well.
These knives are made with a combination of forged steel along with a coating of fine diamond honing steel, which makes these knives suitable for any type of cutting and chopping.
Pros and Cons
- Lightweight and perfectly balanced knives.
- Good enough to carry out any type of cutting and chopping work in the kitchen.
- Ergonomic handles make working with these knives a lot more comfortable.
- Rust resistant and stainless knives.
- The design, performance, and durability come at a huge price. You will have to shell out a lot of money for this knife set.
4. Wusthof Classic Ikon 14-piece Walnut Knife Block Set
Wusthof knives are world-renowned for their performance and durability. What different can you expect from this knife set?
Well, it contains 14 types of knives with each one serving a different purpose. The time you spending in the kitchen is definitely going to be reduced, courtesy of this knife set.
The material used for making these knives is high-carbon rust-resistant stainless steel, and when it comes to the handle, then you get a contoured 3-riveted synthetic handle.
You can expect smooth, swift and precise. In order to enhance the sharpness of the knives, PEtec edge has been added onto the knives.
German products are known for their quality and long-lasting performance, and Wusthof is no different. From design to the material, everything is perfect with this knife set.
Whether you want to chop vegetables or slice fruits or meat, you have got a perfect knife set to carry out a multitude of kitchen-related tasks.
Pros and Cons
- Rust and stain resistant blades.
- Comfortable and gripping handles.
- Effortless cutting and chopping.
- Keeps a good balance while cutting hard and stubborn food items.
- Fine-edged blades, which will require frequent sharpening.
- Handles don’t give a premium feel.
- Pricey product.
5. Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 18-Piece Knife Block Set
Chicago Cutlery is perceived as a premium cutlery, so when a company like this rolls out a product like Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 18-piece knife block set, then one should not think too much and buy the product.
This knife set is a premium looking product that will ease up your situation in the kitchen. This set has got 18 knives, which can perform multiple tasks in the best possible way.
You get strength, performance, versatility, and durability with these knives. The set includes sharpener and shears as well, so you don’t have to worry at all when the sharpness of the knives reduces.
You are getting a set of 18 knives that are made from stainless steel with the amalgamation of carbon footprint in order to deliver more strength and durability.
Forget about rust and stains, as these knives are immune to both. Full tang tends in the knives will further boost the performance and provide the necessary balance.
I really like the presence of triple steel rivets because these will protect the section from handle to blade, plus keep the knife stable.
Handles are made from black polymer, which will ensure grip and comfortability.
Pros and Cons
- Attractive design with strong construction.
- Ergonomic handles that are made from black polymer.
- Rust and stain resistant material used.
- Easy to clean.
- Sharpener given along with the knife set makes re-sharpening easy.
- The absence of serrated steak knife.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
How To Identify A Good Kitchen Knife?
There are various parameters that help decide whether the knife is good for kitchen related tasks or not.
We are going to discuss all such parameters so that there isn’t a single bit of doubt in your mind when you are in the hunt for a perfect knife set.
A cutting tool should be easy and comfortable to handle. If the handling is fluttery, then there are chances of accidents in the kitchen.
Moreover, a knife with poor handling can cause fatigue, so you have to check whether the knife you are using is comfortable to handle or not.
Pay extra attention towards weight of the knife because working with heavier blades will make kitchen work cumbersome, which is the last thing you want.
Look for lighter models that have all the qualities and characteristics of heavier blades.
A knife is divided into two sections, handle and blade. There should be a perfect balance between these two sections, or else, you will not be able to get a smooth cutting motion with a minimum of effort.
Quite often, it has been seen that people working with knives get strain on the wrist, hand, and forearm. So, if the knife is properly balanced, then such things could be avoided.
You will see different types of materials on kitchen knives. Each of those materials has something unique in the offing in terms of performance, durability, and comfortability.
Here are four types of blades that you would see quite often these days:
- Stainless Steel: This material ensures that the blade stays immune to stain and corrosion. But, blades made up of stainless steel get dull quickly and are hard to sharpen as well.
- Ceramic: Use these blades carefully, as they come with a razor-sharp edge, but at the same time, the chances of breaking and chipping are also higher in ceramic blades.
- Signature Stainless Steel Alloys: This material will be mostly found in Japanese blades. The blend of stainless steel and carbon steel makes these blades superior to all other types. But, these blades can be very pricey.
- Carbon Steel Blades: These can hold an edge for a longer period of time and are easy to sharpen as well. But, rust accumulates on these blades quicker than other blades.
Not Sure As To What Type Of Blade You Wish To Have? Pay Attention To Below-Mentioned Parameters
Don’t just pay attention towards the type of construction of blades, but also check how they are assembled.
Check for any indication of piecemeal work on the knife as that will help you determine the quality of construction.
It is always better to have a single-piece construction either full tang or a three-quarter, as these ensure complete integrity and durability.
Don’t buy a knife in which you see the marks of welds or any joints. The hilt area (where the blade meets handle) should be properly joined as this area takes the maximum brunt.
You will find different materials being used to make handles of the knives. From vulcanized rubber to thermoplastics and resin to wood and stainless steel.
So, check the quality of the handle and how well it grips on your hand because you are buying a product that you will use for a long-long time.
Stainless steel and composites offer the best handling and grip. Wooden handles will become soft and rot after some time, so avoid buying a knife with a wooden handle.
You should only buy a knife in which the cutting edge runs down the full length of the blade. This will ensure uniform cutting regardless of angles and hand motion.
Companies that write ‘never need sharpening’ in the features section of a knife are lying to you, period!
Blades do become dull after a certain period of time, so you need to find a knife whose blade remains sharpened the longest.
Never keep sharp-edged items in the open. You will get a storage block with every knife set, which is either made up of wood, tempered glass or stainless steel. It is up to your taste as to which type of storage block you like.
With so many parameters to follow and so many brands to choose from, it surely is going to be a time-consuming task to buy that perfect knife set.
But, we have made things somewhat easier for you by mentioning the best kitchen knife brands along with their best models.
Go through all the aforementioned information and choose the best kitchen knife set for you day-to-day kitchen tasks.
We have laid out top products of the most sought-after brands. Make a selection according to your budget and make your life easy in the kitchen.